In today’s LED light therapy device battle we will be comparing two of the best handheld LED light therapy devices on the market, the FOREO UFO vs. UFO 2.
Which light therapy device is better for you? Let’s find out now.
|LED Light Therapy: Red, Blue, Green|
|Thermo Therapy: Yes|
|Cryo Therapy: Yes|
|T-Sonic Pulsations: Yes|
|Advanced Temperature Controls: No|
|Compatibility: All UFO Activated |
|LED Light Therapy: Full Spectrum|
|Thermo Therapy: Yes – 5x Faster|
|Cryo Therapy: Yes – 5x Faster|
|T-Sonic Pulsations: Yes|
|Advanced Temperature Controls: Yes|
|Compatibility: All UFO Activated Masks + Sheet Masks|
FOREO UFO vs. UFO 2 Differences
The FOREO UFO and FOREO UFO 2 are handheld LED light therapy devices part of the UFO LED light therapy lineup. Both the UFO and UFO 2 have 90 second treatment times and include a number of light wavelength options.
The UFO 2 has better heating and cooling technology that can change the temperature 5x faster than the UFO.
Both the UFO and UFO 2 offer you unmatched light therapy facial treatments. However, the UFO 2 gives you a technology upgrade. The original UFO includes the 3 standard light colors, red, blue, and green. The UFO 2 increases the number of light wavelengths available to 8 colors to help fight your skin concerns. The UFO 2 provides a full spectrum LED light therapy including the colors red, blue, green, white, purple, orange, yellow, and cyan.
The original FOREO UFO released in March 2018 and the FOREO UFO 2 released in February 2020.
Now, let’s talk about design differences.
The design of both the FOREO UFO and UFO 2 are similar. From the outside, they seem to share an identical design.
The UFO and UFO 2 have the same or similar:
- Ultra Hygienic Silicone
- Gold Detailing
- LED Light Ring
- USB Charger Outlet
- Digital Heating and Cooling Cores
- Water-Proof Casing
Both light therapy devices use FOREO’s Smart Application (Smart App), which switches on the device, but only when you are within bluetooth range. This is designed to help personalize your settings, get application updates, and locate your device automatically.
The FOREO UFO and FOREO UFO 2 are 2-in-1 facial treatment devices. You can use the device to provide heat to your skin with thermo therapy or to cool skin using cryotherapy.
Perhaps the biggest update to the UFO 2 compared to the FOREO UFO device, is an improvement in technology.
LED Light Therapy
LED light therapy treatments are used to penetrate the skin to cause specific skin reactions. There are many different wavelengths coming from the UFO’s light emitting diode. Each wavelength works differently on different cells.
This category has the biggest difference between the FOREO UFO and UFO 2 compared to other features. The light technology in the UFO offers the 3 basic light wavelengths, red, blue, and green. However, the UFO 2 offers 8 spectrum LED light therapy or 5 more than the original UFO.
Here are the benefits of the different wavelengths of LED light.
- Red LED: Stimulates the production of collagen and elastin to firm and lift your skin
- Blue LED: Minimizes imperfections and eliminates acne causing bacteria to prevent breakouts
- Green LED: Diminish dark spots and discolorations. Evens out skin tone and brightens skin complexion
- White LED: Longest wavelength and reaches cells that are the deepest in your skin to tighten and tone
- Purple LED: Combination of red and blue. Eliminates toxins, reduces facial bacteria, and boosts radiance of the skin
- Orange LED: Heals sun damage and helps skin renewal
- Yellow LED: Improves overall skin tone
- Cyan LED: Reduce the size of swollen capillaries and is proven to promote skin healing
The LED wavelength can be selected using the FOREO Smart App.
For the FOREO UFO you can pick whichever color of light that you want the device to produce between red, blue, and green using the Smart App. However, the FOREO UFO 2 upgraded Smart App screen is much more intuitive where you can drag and drop to select the light treatment that you want.
The heat from thermo therapy opens up your pores and allows for deeper penetration of serums, like in FOREO Activated Sheet Masks, and other anti-aging products.
Thermo therapy also loosens up sebum on the skin to give a brighter facial complexion. Additionally, the heat can draw dirts and oils from your skin and break them down.
This technology upgrade is more efficient since the entire facial treatment is only 90 seconds long. Since there is less lead time, your total treatment time from setup to finish is shorter.
Cryotherapy uses cooler temperatures to minimize facial pores, reduce puffiness, and lift and firm your skin. Also, the cryotherapy helps maximize the advanced mask collection allowing you to get the most out of your treatments.
Both the FOREO UFO and UFO 2 cool down to 5 degrees celsius or 41 degrees fahrenheit.
The FOREO UFO 2 has upgraded technology with a flash cryotherapy feature. This means it can cool down to 5 degrees celsius faster compared to the original UFO.
In summary, both devices do the same exact thing, however the FOREO UFO 2 is more efficient.
The UFO devices from FOREO also have T-Sonic Pulsation functionality. The devices produce 10,000 pulsations per minute that penetrate deep into the skin at a cellular level.
Pulsations help absorption of creams and serums, like in FOREO UFO Activated Masks. The pulsations also help relax your face to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
How We Rate LED Light Therapy Devices
On our site, we test many different skincare related products or devices. However, it is difficult to rank these products without strict criteria. Below are the three main facets we review when considering different products or devices.
- Efficacy – How well the product achieves its intended purpose?
- Packaging – How efficiently the product is dispensed and portability? What is the structure of the device?
- Safety – What is the functionality of the product and what dangers are posed?
See Also: Testing Guidelines and Ratings
At BowTied Life, we put all of the devices we review through a series of tests.
These tests are designed to test the product’s range of efficacy, from acne prevention to improving skin texture.
For our tests, we used the UFO and UFO 2 each for 2 weeks where we had our facial treatments on alternating days during the morning and evening. Note, you can still have a LED light therapy treatment every day as part of your skincare routine.
For our facial treatment mask, we used the FOREO Make My Day Hydrating power mask.
Here are the results we noticed:
- Acne Prevention – To make sure we prevented acne or reduced small breakouts, we needed to kill all acne related bacteria. After using the blue LED light and purple light here, our skin felt recharged and fresh, free of bacteria.
- Improvement of Skin Tone – Our skin was glowing afterwards. There was no redness afterwards. On days that we did have redness, the hydrating treatment helped to reduce any irritation. We used the red and white wavelengths to get these results.
- Pore Minimization – Overall, our skin felt more tight and toned. Our pores look significantly smaller. We used the red and yellow wavelengths for this. However, we noticed that our pores didn’t stay small unless we continued to use the UFO or UFO 2.
Through repeated use, we noticed that our skin was improving more and more. It felt hydrated and clean, in addition to looking bright and revitalized.
How Does The UFO & UFO 2 Emit Light?
Both the FOREO UFO and FOREO UFO 2 share the same or similar design components. One of those components is the LED light ring. The light ring is on one side of the device and emits different LED wavelengths.
The FOREO Smart App allows you to control which light color you want to use for your facial treatment.
The UFO has a basic display where you can pick from the 3 colors to personalize your treatment. The UFO 2 has better technology with an upgraded app allowing you to customize your light treatment more intuitively.
How Does The UFO & UFO 2 Charge?
Both the FOREO UFO and FOREO UFO 2 come with a built-in rechargeable battery. The battery lasts up to 40 uses per charge. This way you don’t have to worry about charging each time you want to receive LED light facial treatment.
When you do need to charge the device, just plug the USB charging cord into the device and into a wall outlet or your computer.
What Accessories Come With The UFO & UFO 2?
They both have identical accessories and support the same functions.
|USC Charging Cord||Yes||Yes|
FOREO Accessories Explained
Here is a quick explanation of the function of each accessory highlighted in the table above.
Plastic stand that can be used to dock the device after you are done with your treatment. Also, when you need to charge the device, you can place it on the stand.
USB Charging Cord
Can be plugged into a charging block then into a wall outlet or computer. Used to charge the device before treatment cycles.
Hydrating mask with hyaluronic acid that is placed onto device before facial treatment. Additional types of FOREO UFO Activated Masks can be purchased separately from FOREO.
How Easy Is It To Use The FOREO UFO & UFO 2?
Both light therapy devices came ready to use right out of the box. As mentioned before, the UFO and UFO 2 both have the same exact items in the packaging. You get the device itself, a display stand, USB charging cord, and one FOREO mask.
The setup for the UFO and UFO 2 is also exactly the same. You first download the FOREO Smart App on your phone. Then connect to your device via bluetooth.
Once connected, scan the barcode, using your phone, of the mask that you are using with the device. This will tell the Smart App what type of treatment you are getting.
Next, remove the attachment ring and secure the treatment mask to the device on the side that says ‘FOREO’. Furthermore, the mask gel should be facing out toward you once secured.
Now the device is ready to use.
In regard to regular use, the UFO and UFO 2 use the same process. They both require the Smart App to get the device to start the treatment. Once the treatment mask is secured, start the treatment using the app.
The Smart App will guide you during the 90 second facial treatment on screen.
The process to clean the FOREO UFO and FOREO UFO 2 is also identical. Here are the steps to clean the device.
- Take off the attachment ring
- Remove treatment mask from the device
- Run the device under warm water to rinse crevices
- Dry off the device with a soft towel
- Place device on display stand to continue drying
What Are The Maintenance Costs?
The maintenance costs for the FOREO UFO vs. UFO 2 is also identical. On average, the cost to maintain the devices will be $240.
The maintenance costs are due to the facial treatment masks. You need to attach a FOREO Activating Sheet Mask for every treatment.
Each box of masks includes 6 masks for the UFO and UFO 2 and costs on average $20. If you are using light therapy treatment 6 times per month, then your yearly cost will be approximately $240.
How Long Does The Battery Last?
Since the devices are 100% waterproof there should not be any issue of water damage to the battery.
FOREO UFO & UFO 2 Specifications
|Specifications||FOREO UFO||FOREO UFO 2|
|Dimensions||11.8 x 5.9 x 4.7 inches||11.8 x 5.9 x 4.7 inches|
|Weight||5.12 ounces||5.12 ounces|
|Treatments per Charge||40 treatments||40 treatments|
|Warranty||2 Year Limited||2 Year Limited|
|Price||Check Current Price||Check Current Price|
Now, a quick summary recap. We have highlighted many different areas in this comparison review.
In regard to similarities, the structure, look, and feel of the device is exactly the same. The UFO and UFO 2 are also used in the same way and include the same capabilities.
What are the main differences? Check them out below:
- Temperature Control Technology: The UFO 2 is able to heat up and cool down much faster than the original UFO. The FOREO UFO 2 is estimated to be 5x faster.
- LED Light Wavelength: The UFO 2 model provides a full spectrum LED light therapy. These additional light wavelengths provide different and additional benefits compared to the UFO model. The original FOREO UFO does not have white, purple, yellow, orange, and cyan wavelengths.
- Smart App Design: With the release of the UFO 2 the app needed to use the device has also been upgraded. The Smart App for the UFO model is different.
- Device Color: The UFO 2 is offered in one additional color tone for the ultra-hygienic silicone. The UFO 2 includes the black color in addition to all of the original colors that the UFO model has.
Should You Buy The FOREO UFO?
The FOREO UFO is an amazing LED light therapy device and offers high-end light therapy features that other handheld devices don’t provide.
It’s lightweight, cordless, and provides amazing light waves and has heating and cooling abilities.
You Should Buy The FOREO UFO If You…
If you are not so much into LED technology, but still looking for a high-end light therapy product. Using the UFO with the original with red, blue, and green light will work great for you.
For more information or to buy, check out the FOREO UFO here.
Should You Buy The FOREO UFO 2?
The FOREO UFO 2 launched in February 2020. It has some technical improvements that really shine in comparison to older FOREO models and certainly compared to most others outside of the FOREO lineup.
You Should Buy The FOREO UFO 2 If You…
If you like more LED light wavelengths in your skin care routine and don’t want to waste time waiting for the device to be ready to use then the UFO 2 is worth the upgrade. Also, if you have a bigger budget then we would recommend getting this device.
For more information or to buy, check out the FOREO UFO 2 here.
- Best LED Light Therapy Devices for Acne
- Trophy Skin RejuvaliteMD Red Light Therapy Review
- Dr Dennis Gross Skincare DRx Spectralite Faceware Pro LED Light Therapy Review
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*